Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Case No. 2008-C-00147


I was at LTFRB this afternoon to attend a summon for the case I filed against a taxi company whose driver was rude and arrogant. The case was filed last December 2008. I was on my way home from the airport, as soon as the taxi exited the gates of the airport, the driver asked me to pay him beyond what would be in the taximeter.

I argued with him that such practice was not allowed. He gave me a barrage of reason why I should give him extra -- first, my home was too far, second, he might not have a passenger on his way back, third, it's Christmas time, fourth, there is nothing wrong with asking for a little extra.

Well, I just came from Manila and the taxi drivers there had the same attitude - so this davao cabbie driver even fueled my right to complain.

So there I was in the hearing. I met the operator, I met the driver, I met the LTFRB Presiding Officer. I was asked to take an oath for the first time in my life on a witness stand .... "nothing but the truth". I was asked to explain my complaint.

Afterwhich, the operator opined that the company had not been remiss in its reminders to its drivers regarding the use of taximeter and the prohibition of "pakyaw", "asking for extra beyond the taximeter, etc. The driver admitted it was his fault, although with a hint of protest.

Then the presiding officer confiscated his driver's license and asked him to pay P3,000 fine in violation of a certain provision under LTFRB rules.

Oh my, I thought a reprimand or a warning for a first offense was in order.

So, I gave my piece of mind. I told the presiding officer it was reassuring for me that the company was not remiss in reminding and training its drivers regarding courtesy and parameters of its Certificate of Public Conveyance. I also told the driver that I would be willing to accept his apology -- but he would have a record in the agency for such violation, and subsequent violation would merit the full penalty of P3,000 fine and suspension of his license.

So ordered, said the presiding officer.

The hearing was finished in 45 minutes. I found out the taxi operator was an Ateneo graduate.

So if you have complaints with taxi drivers and operators, file them at:

Atty. Abdulgafar A. Mohammad, CESO V
Regional Director
Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board
Regional Office XI
Balusong Avenue, Davao City
Fax (82) 297-2525

No comments: