Monday, September 06, 2004

Movies galore

For the past week, I watched some films from the Mass Comm film collection/ archives of the Ateneo de Davao University. I was looking for new European films that I could show to my class who had been editing their experimental abstract short film. I stumbled at some good films, a few of which I saw months ago:

SEX AND LUCIA: Directed by Julio Medem (Paz Vega burns the screen!). I have seen the film five times, and it still has its twist. Most of my students were touched about the crossroads issues of life ... although this film in unrated, it must be for adults only.

FAHRENHEIT 9/11: Directed by Michael Moore (After I saw the film, I called the chairperson of the Mass Comm Dept to stage a film forum. We have the university viewing room seats all taken in advance reservation as of last week, we may have to schedule another screening on Sept 10, 2004.) I think some people in Mindanao will be very much interested to see this film.

CHILDREN OF THE CENTURY: Directed by Diane Kurys (Juliette Binoche was amazing! Just as amazing to her performance in the Three Colors trilogy directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski. It's all about the perils of love, moments of betrayal and "kabaliwan ng pagmamahal.")

SWIMMING POOL: Directed by Francois Ozon (Starred by Charlotte Rampling and Ludivine Sagnier. For about two thirds of the film, writer/director Francois Ozon presents us with the classic – one might almost say stereotypical - conflict between a moralistic, sexually repressed, almost `frigid' British woman and a beautiful, uninhibited and sensual Continental nymphet. But, as the story progresses, a certain personality transference begins to take place, with Sarah taking on some of the traits of the girl she professes to despise and Julie finding a way to `help' Sarah complete her novel. I can't say that I completely understand the last half hour or so of the film, although I do suspect that the answer lies somewhere along the line of last year's `Adaptation,' which also dealt with the art of writing and the strange blending of the real and the surreal, of truth and fantasy that often accompanies the act. Suffice it to say that you will either go with the film all the way to the end or tune out at about the 70-minute point. Yun lang, for adults only, too. A lot of nudity.)

IRREVERSIBLE: Directed by Francois Ozon (this one can be a good material for a specific topic in film principles - "sex and violence in film". It has an uncut footage of rape, from beginning to end -- like 10-15 minutes. Nakakasuka din, kaya huwag kumain ng marami bago manood.)

The most disturbing film I saw was THE DREAMERS, a film by Bernardo Bertolucci, an Italian director who is no stranger to controversy. [He directed The Last Tango in Paris, starring Marlon Brando. I also enjoyed his 1998 film: Besieged.] Artistic film, set in Paris, 1968. The theme: Fantasy vs Reality. I think we all create our own, little fantasy worlds. Sometimes that's healthy & sometimes it's not. And that's all I'll say about the film. I think it's a film that's best seen when you know nothing about the storyline (as are most films), so you have no preconceived notions or expectations to color your perception.


All Rights Reserved 2004

No comments: